National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) launched unique service for GSM mobile subscribers across India, which will allows customer to check their bank Balance on any mobile and without internet connection by just dialing *99# USSD code.
Initially GSM mobile subscribers of MTNL and BSNL can avail this service by obtaining MMID code from their current bank account. In few months all other GSM subscribers of Airtel, Vodafone, Idea, Aircel can also check Bank Balance and process Banking activity from their GSM mobile by dialing *99#.
How to check bank balance on mobile by dialing *99# ?
1. GSM subscriber with any mobile handset can dial *99# and wait for display message.
2. Service will ask 7 digit MMID code to enter
3. obtain MMID code from your Bank online by logging to bank website or calling customer care.
4. After obtaining 7 digit MMID (mobile money identifier) code enter it and link your Bank account to your mobile number by following USSD instruction.
5. After successful linking and registering MMID with your phone number, customer can commence any Banking transaction like Checking account balance, Mini statement, Funds transfer etc. without any charge.
Major banks in India such as ICICI Bank, SBI, Axis Bank, Bank Of Baroda, HDFC Bank, PNB and Citibank provide 7 digit MMID code online by logging on their official website for registered Netbanking customers. Customer may also need to register for SMS Banking with their respective bank to obtain MMID code.
Also check out this recent article if you want to open zero balance saving account in bank.